Looking for a post-workout snack or nutrient-dense treat to enjoy when you’re fiending for something sweet? These little bite-sized balls full of nutrients are a great option. There are so many ideas for these throughout the Web, but these are my favorite so far. The great thing about these is that you can omit, substitute, or add ingredients to create a recipe to fit your individual preferences!
I adapted this recipe from others that I’ve tried and they have been approved by all whom I’ve shared them with. Enjoy!
Recipe for Energy Bites
1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup chopped nuts/seeds (I used cashews and walnuts)
1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup low-sugar granola, oats, or puffed rice (or a combination)
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tb vanilla extract
1-2 Tb water or milk of choice (if needed)
1) Combine dry ingredients (protein powder, flaxseeds, chia seeds, nuts/seeds, chocolate chips, and granola) in a medium-sized bowl.
2) Add wet ingredients (peanut butter, honey, maple syrup, and vanilla extract) to dry ingredients.
3) Mix all ingredients together until evenly distributed. I prefer to use a fork to get the peanut butter mixed will throughout everything else. If the mixture seems too dry, crumbly, or won’t hold the shape of a ball, add 1-2 Tb of water or milk and mix again. If you add too much liquid, add more protein powder.
4) When you have the right consistency, begin forming 1-inch balls with a small ice cream or other scoop, spoon, or your hands. Place the balls in an airtight container and place in the freezer for them to become firmer.
5) After about 20-30 minutes, the bites should be ready for you to indulge in! Continue to store them in the fridge or freezer to maintain the texture and shape.